Before you apply for Critical Home Repair
Thank you for your interest in Habitat Charlotte Region’s Critical Home Repair program! Before getting started on your application, here’s everything you’ll need to prepare for uploading. Once you start the application, you won’t be able to save your progress. Please prepare to complete the entire application AND upload your documents in one sitting.
You can complete the application on a computer OR mobile device; please note you must have access to necessary income documents on whatever device you’re using.
- Please make sure you fill out all applicable sections. All persons on the deed must consent to repairs. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Upload Income Documentation for the entire household. Appropriate documentation includes: Social Security letter, 2 months of paystubs, or pension/retirement statement. We do not accept bank statements as documentation for income. Everyone who lives in the home and receives income must upload income documentation.
- Complete the Authorization to Release section. This applies to each household member age 16 and older, and authorizes Habitat to process a credit and background check where applicable.
- If you are a veteran of the US Armed Forces, you’ll need to upload a copy of your DD-214 certificate of release or discharge document.
- Be prepared to provide the most recent 60 days of actual, complete bank statements for ALL accounts after your initial application is processed. A member of the Family Selection staff will contact you at a later time for this request.
If you have any questions, need an application in Spanish, or experience any technical difficulties, please contact the Family Selection team at applications@habitatCLTregion.org.
If you’re looking to refer a friend, neighbor or loved one for Critical Home Repair, please click here to submit a referral.
what to expect from here
Phase 1: Submit Application
You will submit your application via our on-line portal and upload income and bank statements. After review, it will be determined if you meet our initial qualifying criteria. You may be asked to submit additional documents throughout this process.
Phase 2: Pre-Approval
If you meet all criteria, your application and supporting documentation will be reviewed for pre-approval.
Phase 3: Home Visit
Since you are now pre-approved to participate in the Critical Home Repair program, the Critical Home Repair team will arrange and conduct a home visit with you to review all details of our program. This may be a virtual visit.
Phase 4: Construction Crew Visits Home
A member of our construction staff will contact you to complete an assessment of your home. This enables Habitat Charlotte Region to determine the critical needs to be addressed in your home.
Phase 5: Critical Home Repair Staff Follow-Up Visit
A member of the Critical Home Repair team will return to your home and discuss the findings of your assessment. During this visit, you will sign your participation contract and receive instructions to begin working on your community service hours and making payments towards your program participation fee (if required).